Wednesday 3 December 2014

December days...




Brr...it's cold, below freezing. The kitchen wall is down and a huge draught blowing from the door that's gaping from the wall. The pipe to the oil tank was re-connected after accidentally being cut, but then something popped out of it that A managed to stick back in with a bit of wood. It makes a really weird noise as though it's about to blow so we ration out how much we use it. Early morning or late night for showers and cosy bed time. He found some big old grey wool blankets in the attic to hang up and block up the hole and it feels a bit like we're camping. 

Days are still busy with friendly builders and lots of banter, making cups of tea and coffee, bacon and egg sandwiches, construction and de-construction. Attempting to keep up with decorating but mostly getting distracted by phone calls to find plumbers or electricians, making plans and then changing them. 

Apart from the daily round of the builders' breakfast baguettes, cooking has been simple. Easily roasted chickens, pan fried fish or foil baked salmon with a good squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil. Seasonal vegetables, fruit, local eggs and the odd sour plum crumble with yoghurt and maple syrup. (Oh and our neighbour's scrumptious chocolate bread and butter pudding with golden nuggets of marzipan secreted inside, that melt and burst like little surprise parcels of goodness. I must remember to ask for the recipe) 

They are good days...but at the moment the evenings are the part that we both love best. When everyone's gone home and A get's the kindling for the fire, puts on the logs and stokes it up and the hearth calls to us. That's when I get out the skeins of wool that arrived to knit another beanie to keep my ears warm, and I snuggle up and savour the last four chapters of this biography gifted from a good blogger friend


project: Dolan beret
yarn: Debbie Bliss, Blue Faced Leicester DK, 100% wool; gold. 
details: ravelry page

joining with ginny and nicole 

14 comments:

  1. I think you have one of the best attitudes toward remodeling that I have ever seen, good for you in seeing the positive and the adventure it brings.
    Enjoy all that the season brings Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey. We are fortunate that the builders are working really hard to try and give us a kitchen for Christmas, even if it's just the bear bones. We are trying to uncover as much of the history of this old house that has been hidden away whilst making sure that it's sturdy and will stand the test of time as it has done till now. Sometimes it means that we have to make some sacrifices but I'm sure that it will be lovely and cosy and practical when it's all finished. I hope that you enjoy this cosy time too.
      debx

      Delete
  2. Oh, that fireplace!!! I have been imagining its cozy warmth since the first time you showed it to us. I'm so glad you can enjoy it after your long, busy days.
    Your photos are beautiful! Are those lovely fields near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it draws us constantly Emily. It's had a few incarnations since we arrived and it still needs another lick of paint. I'll share the process as soon as I get time. Life is good for us I think that we've found the right little spot in England for us to be. At least for now and I can't see any reason for ever wanting to go anywhere else.
      Yes Emily, we are so lucky to be in the middle of farming country. The scenery is beautiful people come to walk or cycle here. We try to go for a quick walk whenever we can... not very often at the moment but plan lots of long treks exploring the area as soon as we are a little bit more settled.
      Have a good week,
      debx

      Delete
  3. I loooove the picture with the mud in the foreground and the golden trees in the background! Such a beautiful contrast! Enjoy your lovely fire place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for popping by. I can't wait for this evening when I can cosy up there and get on with my knitting.
    Happy weekend,
    Debbyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. debby, you need to buy more tea :) just kidding! Hey! you are knitting and in yarn along, I've missed this weekly post, so I'm guessing that life is slowly getting less frantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He...he and that's just a fraction Karen. I'm so glad to be back I miss so much being able to join in and keep up with reading everyone's blogs. Still very busy but gradually easing a little I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at last. It's going to be very busy for the next few days but hopefully will calm down a little after that.
      debx

      Delete
  6. As usual amazing blog!!!! So lovely to be part of the process watching all the progress xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by Jules. It's always good to hear from you.
      debx

      Delete
  7. Hi Debby:
    I think it must be hard to live in a house under construction but certain that the illusion is what matters.
    How beautiful the fireplace to relax knitting.
    I wish you a beautiful kitchen for Christmas !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit difficult at times Montse. But our lovely neighbours are constantly rescuing us and it make things much easier to cope with. We just try to think of it as a camping holiday and a big adventure.
      Have a lovely week.
      debx

      Delete
  8. Hi Deb. Sorry it's been so long. I somehow managed to lock myself out of Blogger and because I have a number of linked accounts things got messy. Hopefully things are sorted now. It has been amazing following your renovation progress. So extensive and at such a cold time of year, brrr! I also really love the photos you take from the car. I feel like I'm on a lovely leisurely road-trip with you. Hoping to find some time to send you a nice long letter before Christmas. Until then enjoy that fire! Caz x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caz, it's so good to hear from you. I've missed you! I'm so glad that you are back. Maybe one day you'll actually be in the car with us...that would be amazing. Would be great to get in touch again. Have fun.
      debx

      Delete